The ApP Lite™ Series
Recently more and more devices are connected to the internet. ApP Lite™ (Application Processor Lite) does not simply feed raw data to the cloud, such as images captured by sensors and audio, but also carries out efficient signal processing and extracts necessary data through image recognition, contributing to reductions of data loads. The latest addition to Toshiba's ApP Lite™ family is the TZ1001MBG, an application processor for wearable devices.
The ApP Lite™ Product Line Up
|ApP Lite™ series
|Wearable devices, such as activity monitors, smart watches, bracelet and glasses type devices
||Smart appliances, Industrial CPU, M2M communication module, Touch panel controller, general purpose control processor, etc.
||Surveillance camera, TV conference system, Drive recorder, digital signage equipment, etc.
|OTT tuners, IP media box, wearable devices, digital signage equipment, thin client devices, etc.
TZ1000: Application Processors for Wearable Devices
Toshiba launches the TZ1001MBG, an application processor for wearable devices, as the latest addition to ApP Lite™ family. Sample shipments will start in May, with mass production scheduled to start in September, 2014.
There has been an explosion of interest in services that monitor activity levels and durations, as tools to help prevent lifestyle diseases, promote exercise and improve nutrition. It increases the demand for the wearable devices that the services depend on. TZ1001MBG press release.
TZ1000 Key Features
- Integrates a wireless communication function, a sensor, a memory and a processor in one package
Functions necessary for wearable devices are integrated in a single package, contributing to small system design.
- Allows connection to external sensors
The product integrates high resolution ADCs that can convert analog signals from external sensors, such as pulse wave and electrocardiogram (ECG), into digital data, and deliver it to the internal processor.
- Embedded ARM® Cortex®-M4F processor
High performance ARM® Cortex®-M4F with DSP and floating point processing unit allows combination of data from multiple sensors, both internal and external, to improve accuracy (sensor fusion).
- Integrates Bluetooth® wireless communication function
Integration of Bluetooth® Low Energy controller and RF circuit allows transfers of raw and processed data to external equipment, such as smartphones and tablets.
||ARM® Cortex®-M4F 48MHz
||Bluetooth® Low Energy controller
|Flash Memory Size
||USB, SPI, I2C, UART, 12bit ADC, 24bit Delta-Sigma ADC
TZ5000: Integrate High-Speed Wireless LAN and NAND Flash Memory in Single Package
Toshiba has announced it will offer a new range of application processors that incorporate IEEE802.11ac baseband - the standard for high-speed wireless LAN - and NAND flash memory. The TZ5000 series is the latest addition to Toshiba’s ApP Lite™ family and will be ideal for applications ranging from (OTT: Over-The-Top1) tuners and IP media boxes to wearable devices, digital signage and thin clients2.
Increasingly the delivery of video and audio over the internet requires set top boxes and similar equipment to receive the service and distribute contents to PCs and smartphones via a wireless LAN. The TZ5000 series application processors integrate the high-speed wireless LAN function required for high-quality video distribution plus embedded NAND flash memory to save user programs and store large amounts of data as cache. This reduces the number of external ICs and mounting area, contributing to downsizing of equipment.
The series also adopts an original low-power design, reducing power consumption and heat generation when processing multimedia applications, such as HTML5, which usually imposes a heavy load on the CPU.
Read the full press release
TZ5000: Key Features
- Broadband connection with wireless host devices - The bandwidth of connections between devices is often limited when they are connected through PCI Express® or SDIO interfaces. The “TZ5000 series” achieves broadband connection by incorporating an IEEE802.11ac baseband engine, CPU, and memory into a single package.
- Multi chip package with 32Gbit NAND flash memory - 32Gbit NAND flash memory and a dedicated memory controller are incorporated into the package, securing fast boot of software, such as the operating system, and high speed data access. It is secure against falsification of data or hacking attacks because the program area is built into the package.
|Secure Boot System Control
||Embedded IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO Baseband Engine (Ensigma™ C4500)
||Embedded 32Gbit MLC NAND
||Dual-core ARM® Cortex®-A9 MPCore / NEON™ ?1.2GHz
||1080p@60fps Multi Format Decoder, IPC, Scalar, Rotator, Composer
||DDR3/3L/LP-DDR3, USB OTG, SDIO, HDMI®, MIPI® CSI and DSI
1 Image content or services delivered via the internet.
2 A thin client is a dedicated device with limited functions in a client server system.
* PCI Express is a trademark or a registered trademark of PCI-SIG.
* ARM, Cotex and NEON are trademarks or registered trademarks of ARM Limited in the EU and other countries.
* ApP Lite?is a trademark of Toshiba Corporation.
* Ensigma and PowerVR are trademarks or registered trademarks of Imagination Technologies Limited.
* Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance
* HDMI is a registered trademark of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or other countries.
* MIPI is a registered trademark of MIPI Alliance, Inc.
* All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.